You are here
Instructive Biomaterials Engineering (IBE)
Research at IBE is inspired and driven by materials science and engineering. The group aims at developing “smart”, instructive synthetic biomaterials for tissue and organ regeneration and for theranostics, with focus on inorganic materials.
IBE's main lines of research are:
- Design and fabrication of biomaterials for regenerative medicine with closely controlled properties, by combining different material types and fabrication technologies.
- Fundamental study of biological mechanisms behind interactions of biomaterials and cells/tissues, with the aim of designing and developing novel instructive biomaterials.
- Application of bioinorganics as synthetic “growth factors”.
- Application of biomineralization principles for developing new biomaterials for regeneration of skeletal tissues.
- Development of platforms (e.g. based on microfluidics) for high throughput production of biomaterials and for screening of their interactions with the biological environment.
- Development of multifunctional nanoparticles for imaging, site-specific drug delivery and controlled release.